Russell Worth Personal Injury Blog:

Trips, Slips And Falls Compensation Claims

Jan 2, 2015 | Blog

Russell Worth Personal Injury Blog:

Trips, Slips And Falls Compensation Claims

An introduction to Slips, Trips and Falls

Despite statistics from the Health and Safety Executive indicating that injury rates in the workplace have fallen significantly over the past decade, the 2013/14 figures show that falls, trips and slips account for over a third (35 percent) of employee injuries and make up half of all reported major injuries.

In fact, although a slip or trip can sound trivial, an awkward fall can result in some pretty bad injuries such as broken bones, or in serious cases, paralysis. Even a minor fall can lead to awkward pains and sprains and cause you a great deal of inconvenience including medical visits, time off work and potentially financial or loss of income difficulties.

Where can slips, trips and falls occur?

This sort of injury can happen anywhere. Not just in the workplace but in public areas where it can be a lot harder to establish a guilty party. However, even out in public when it might feel like you only have yourself to blame, there could be someone else at fault – a key factor when considering whether or not you may be liable for compensation.

Common slips, trips and falls are caused by:Slippery floors.Uneven mats or flooring.Damaged or crooked paving slabs.Hazardous obstacles left in walkways.Insufficient lighting.Snow or ice built up in places that are meant to be clear.

Who might be responsible?

You have the right to expect public areas to be safe, so if you have experienced a slip, trip or a fall in a shop or outside, you may have grounds for a personal injury compensation claim.

Public organisations such as the local council have a responsibility to ensure outside spaces and walkways are safe, whereas private businesses such as supermarkets and shops must adhere to health and safety guidelines to prevent mishap.

If you experienced a slip, trip or fall at work, this could be the fault of your employers if they did not strictly adhere to health and safety policy in order to keep the workplace and employees safe. Some people who have experienced accidents at work might concern themselves that they could be dismissed if they were to try for a claim but this is against the law and equates to unfair dismissal.

If you experienced your accident in rented accommodation, then your landlord or housing association are responsible for ensuring regular maintenance takes place. They are also responsible for making any repairs to damage or wear and tear that could result in injury.

What do I need to prove in order to make a slips, trips and falls claim?

To make a successful claim you need to prove that another person or organisation was responsible for your accident or injury due to negligence. Our team can help you gather the evidence necessary to present your case. Evidence is likely to include:Photographs of the area and reason for your accident.Statements from witnesses.Written reports filed on the day of the accident.Medical reports.

How much compensation can I expect?

There is no set amount for compensation as it varies on a case by case basis.

awards can vary from £1000 to £50,000 or more, depending on the severity of the injury and any other losses which you may be able to claim for, such as loss of earnings, medical treatment etc.


Excellent. The service was efficient from start to finish and I would not hesitate to recommend Russell Worth Solicitors to anybody who is unfortunate enough to meet with a personal injury that is not their fault.
Hilary Ann

People Love Us - Click Here To See Our Reviews On TrustPilot!

Other Blog Sections